Saturday, April 21, 2007

Relay for Life


This picture is a few of us that sat down to watch the candlelight ceremony.
The bags were set up to spell HOPE.
You can't see it, but I took a picture of Megann's name on the screen.
Scott even brought Brayden and Bryce up for a while.

Last night I participated in Relay for Life. It's put on by the American Cancer Society. It was one of the neatest things I've ever done. About 22 of us from school created a team. We were the Dazzling Divas and a Dude (we ended up with one guy on our team). Anyway, the relay begins at 7 pm and ends at 7 am the next morning. You always have to have someone on your team walking the track. Everyone sets up tents, cooks out, plays games, etc. The tents set up things to raise money (like karaoke, black jack, raffles, etc). Our team raised almost $3,000. At nine pm, there was a candlelight ceremony. People had donated money in honor of cancer survivors and ones that had lost their lives to cancer. Their names were placed in sacks along the track with a candle in them. I also gave blood for the first time. Youch. In all, it reminded us that life is not something to take for granted. Cancer is something that none of us can control. Me, being such a controlling person, likes things like this because at least I can feel like I am doing something to help with research. Especially for my friend, Megann, that has one of the rarest forms of ovarian cancer.

9 comments:

Candice said...

Awesome.

I like your shirts.

Is that Leslie holding Brayden?

Jennifer said...

That is so neat Tammie!

Tami said...

Way to go, Tammie! You guys are awesome and are really making a difference in people's lives. Sounds like the event was a success!

angie c said...

Woo woo Leslie. Good to see her in pics.

I'm so glad you did this and raised tons of money! woo hoo!

mcjacobsjournal said...

I'm so proud of all that you've done to help your friend Megann. What an example to all of us to get involved in this fight! Sounds like a fun night with friends too. :)

I loved the last post with those HANDSOME boys in tuxes too. $48 BUCKAROOs?? SO impressed with your shopping abilities!!! They look adorable.

Anonymous said...

It was a lot of fun. I am so glad we all did it.-Angie

Amy C said...

That is cool. It is fun to show your support for a worthy cause. I am glad you were able to help and support your friend!

jaime s said...

What a great friend!! I applaud your team. Looks like a fun way to raise awareness and money for such a great cause!!

angie c said...

I want pictures of the new niece. UPDATE!

Related Posts with Thumbnails