Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Heavy Heart

DISCLAIMER: Ok, I normally don't get too sappy or wordy on this blog, but it's coming, so don't say I didn't warn you...
I started back to work this week. Something new that I am having to deal with is trying to find childcare for Bryce during the week of inservice. He cannot attend daycare anymore, and he won't start kindergarten until next week. So, I found out about this program at the Y. It's like a daycamp, and they were giving district employees a discount, so I thought it would be perfect. It had a theme called "Y-Idol," and if any of you know Bryce, that's right up his alley. I had family that could have watched him, but I felt like this would keep him busy, be convenient for all involved, and it was on the way for me. What a big friggin' mistake. I left early on Monday morning to take him to the church where the camp was being held. Mind you, by this point we had gotten zero information about the camp. I happened to find a parent handbook online the night before so that's how I knew to pack him a lunch. I took him in and found his name among the ten typed pages of names. I told the girl that it was his first day, and she said ok. No nametag. No tour. No nothing. I took him into a big, dark room where kids of all ages were sitting with ONE adult watching a movie. The girl told me that normally they are outside, but it was raining so they were watching a movie. I left him there. He was fine, I cried. I called three people on the way to school to tell them to assure me that he would be fine. When I went to pick him up, I was greeted by a kid that couldn't have been more than 8. He asked me who I was here to pick up. I said, "Um, Bryce." The kid disappeared. I signed Bryce out, and waited. And waited. I finally began to walk around myself. I saw the kid who shrugged his shoulders and said, "I can't find him." Excuse me? Once he found out his age, he knew where to look and thankfully, Bryce was there. I never met his "counselor" or any single adult that was in charge. Upon seeing me, Bryce ran to me and said, "Mommy, I DO NOT want to come here again. It was not fun." On the way out the door, some lady said, "Oh, bye. Maybe tomorrow can be a swim day." Um, what? I said, "Um, what?" She proceeded to tell me that they would get on a bus (all million of them) and go swimming at the Y the next day. Ok, does he need a swimsuit? Are you kidding me! Once I questioned Bryce, all they did was watch movies all day. Apparently the rain threw them off and making a plan b was too much. He also told me that they made them lay on the "yucky, dirty floor with no pillow or blanket or anything." He also said that he cried so hard he couldn't breathe during some movie they watched. So, what did I do? I proceeded to cry. No, bawl. He said, "Mommy, why are you crying?" I said, "I'm just sooo sorry you had to go there (in between broken sobbing fits). He said, "Mommy, is your heart broken?" So, needless to say, he did not return there. Scott and I have a meeting with the coordinator person next week. Thanks to my wonderful in-laws who saved the day for us, he will be staying with family this week (which I should have done to begin with!!). This makes me so nervous for him to begin kindergarten. I know he'll be at my school, and he just so happens to have my good friend, Angie, but I am not sure that I am ready to let him go! I know I have taken him to daycare for his whole life, but somehow this is different. They are still so young at five, and I can't imagine how it must feel as a parent who doesn't get to stay right down the hall. I've already told my team that they will have to majorly distract me because I'm afraid I will be a wreck! He's my baby!! So, long story short, I am sure that next Monday will bring many different emotions for a lot of us. I couldn't even handle the Y. I have a lot of friends whose kids are starting kinder, too. So, good luck to Jennifer, Shannon, Laurie, Holly, and Kerri. I hope y'all will do a better job than I will of sending our babies off!!

10 comments:

Jenna said...

That is just awful!!!!!! Poor Bryce. Kindergarten will be different. He is so smart and so charming. He will thrive. I hope you make it.

Candice said...

Thank you for getting "sappy" and sharing that. There are probably many other moms out there feeling the same way as you.

I think you will feel totally different knowing that he is in good hands. I cannot believe that program! I'm glad you are meeting with them.

He will do great and so will you. Love you.

Brae, Brae, B-B-B, B-B-B, B-B-Brae

Jennifer said...

Ok, so I have personally seen how the afterschool Y program runs with the k-5 at our school and let me just say I would never put my kids in there. But I would've been like you - who would've thought that it would be so disappointing. No, disappointing does not even begin to cover it. That was terrible. I'm sorry you and Bryce had to go through that. If I could, I'd take the rest of the week off to hang out with the little man and keep him busy! He truly is such a joy to be around.

I am glad he has Angie for his Kindergarten teacher! To this day, I still tell everyone that she is the BEST kinder teacher ANYWHERE! And it's true. She was the perfect teacher for Matthew and he still talks about being in her class. Bryce will do great... and the wonderful thing is you WILL be right down the hall should he need you! :-)

P.S. - Sarah said she's going to miss you this year since she's going to be at Comanche Springs with me.

angie c said...

My stomach hurts as much reading this as it did when you were telling me about it.

Poor Brycie Boo.

derrickandamy said...

Yuck, I am sorry he (and you) had such a hard time. I can not even imagine sending Caroline to kindergarten. I kind of want to cry about it now...~Amy

Anonymous said...

I just want you to know that the only thing I hear right this very second is Bryce belly laughing from upstairs in the game room while he & Jake play Star Wars. Why am I not there? I was given the role of *the bad guy* and have to hide until I am called to play again. We're having a great time. GREAT TIME!!! ALWAYS call us. It is more a treat for us than him I think!!! Love these boys.

Marcy

Jennifer said...

I know that Monday will be SO hard for all of us. Yes, you have it great that you are right down the hall from B but it's probably also going to be very tempting for you! I've been praying all summer that I can have a happy heart and strong will to "let H go..." I'm excited about his new chapter but also so sad to see this one end. We all love our boys and with them being our firsts especially, it's hard. I'll be thinking about you on Monday- about dropping B off and also about your new class for the year. I hope and pray that you have a wonderful group of kids and an awesome year!!

McFarland Family said...

WOW!!! I am speechless about the Y. I think you really lived everyones worse nightmare. But on a good note...Bryce is going to do AWESOME Monday and so will you. He will just be down the hall and in the BEST of hands....hows the cough?

Angie said...

Thanks, girls! Looks like I will be taking care of Bryce and Tammie. :) Happy to do so. I just love them both!

Angie Campbell said...

I am so sorry to hear this! The Y camp here in League City is WONDERFUL! I am terribly dissapointed in the way your y camp was held, and it makes me cry just thinking about it. Going to K was hard for Trace, but his teacher was awesome, and he was thrilled within one day. He had a great year. I pray that it will be the same for you as well. Good luck going back to work. It sure is hard to manage all the emotions and being a mom as well! I will pray for you too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails