Thursday, April 20, 2006

Meemaw

Meemaw at Bryce's second birthday.

Meemaw holding Bryce, one day old.

Tomorrow, April 21st marks one year since Meemaw left us to join Daddy H in heaven. She was one of the sweetest people you would ever meet. She had tons of friends and 100 % devoted to her family. I remember so many times being at her house for holidays or just to visit. We would sit and talk for a long time about everything from gardening to cooking to her life as a child. She raised four boys and was a terrific wife. I miss her every day. I am very fortunate to have had two terrific grandmothers that I was (and still am) very close to. I will never forget last year when Meemaw was at Keller Oaks. She was on hospice and was not given much longer to live. She always begged us to sing when we got together for family events, and Angie and I even made tapes of us singing when we'd spend the night with her. Anyway, my uncles, aunts, cousins, and I sang for her as she was dying. They played the guitar and we sang our hearts out. We didn't care who heard us as long as Meemaw did. She didn't have the strength to talk, but she mouthed some of the words as we sang. I know she was loving being surrounded by her family and singing, two things she cherished. She told my uncle that there was a boat coming for her. She kept talking about it, and we finally realized that she was getting ready to say goodbye to her family. Bryce remembers her and will tell you that she lives in heaven. It saddens me that she will never get to meet Brayden, but I will make sure both boys know what a wonderful person she was. It makes me smile to see her dancing in heaven with her husband who she grieved for every day until she died. (He died when I was in high school). I love you, Meemaw. Thank you for being such an example of a Christian servant to me. You will never, ever be forgotten.

7 comments:

Amy C said...

Godly grandparents are such a blessing. Thank you for sharing the memories of your sweet MeeMaw with us all. Those moments are so special. . .

mcjacobsjournal said...

Okay, you had me crying on that one. Even I have such wonderful memories of the "stories of MeeMaw" and to hear you tell of the end of her life with all of you singing around her was just the sweetest picture to me.

I just hope we're the kind of grandmothers that our own were to us someday!

angie c said...

Thanks for the tribute to Meemaw. I can't believe it's been a year.

Jenna said...

What a beautiful post. She sounds like she was an amazing woman! Sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

I hope that when it's my time to go I'm surrounded by family and they are all singing too. That was beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Tammie. You had me crying like a baby. I did remember that it was tomorrow but hadn't reflected on all that stuff. She was absolutely the best mother-in-law anyone could have. I hope that I am 1/10 of what she was as a mother-in-law, servant, wife and christian. Thanks for that. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tamara Lee. That was beautiful. Dad

Related Posts with Thumbnails